Have you lost a loved one due to negligence? If so, you need the advice and advocacy of an experienced wrongful death lawyer. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys understand and are ready to help you and your family. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
How Can a Wrongful Death Lawyer Help?
The experienced wrongful death lawyers at Bonina & Bonina, P.C., can help you and your family by:
- Investigating the accident: Our wrongful death lawyers and staff are recognized as skilled investigators. Our law firm has investigated accidents for more than 50 years. We know how to investigate an accident scene, interview witnesses, and preserve the evidence needed to prove your case.
- Establishing loss: Working with a wrongful death lawyer means having someone on your side who can help a jury understand your loss after a fatality. While your loss can never be fully compensated, our dedicated wrongful death lawyers will seek the maximum available damages for you and your family.
- Demanding accountability: It is traumatic when a family loses a loved one due to negligence. We have fought and recovered for New York families in wrongful death cases for decades, and we understand the multitude of issues they face. We have the experience it takes to get to the truth, hold the responsible party accountable, and ask for the justice you and your family deserve.
When a person is killed due to another’s negligence, their survivors can suffer severe emotional and financial losses. Under these difficult circumstances, they may not know how to process their experience or pursue damages. Working with a wrongful death lawyer means having someone there to help manage your claim and protect your interest during this painful and difficult time. At Bonina & Bonina P.C., you will work with a wrongful death lawyer who understands and can help.
What is Wrongful Death?
A wrongful death occurs when someone dies because of another party’s negligent or reckless behavior. According to New York law, a wrongful death claim involves the following elements:
- the death of an individual
- due to another’s negligent or reckless conduct
- a survivor or survivors who have suffered economic losses because of their loved one’s death
- an action to recover damages that the decedent could have pursued if the decedent had survived, and
- damages recoverable by the decedent’s estate
Losing a loved one to wrongful death can be emotionally and financially devastating for the victim’s survivors. If you have lost a loved one due to another’s negligence and believe you have a claim, you should contact Bonina & Bonina, P.C., as soon as possible to discuss your case with a wrongful death lawyer. Our firm is here to fight for the damages you and your family need and deserve.
Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death can occur in a variety of circumstances. Some common causes of wrongful death in New York include:
- Car Accidents
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Defective Products
- Nursing Home Negligence
A wrongful death lawsuit helps compensate the family for their losses, brings some closure, and sends a message to those who caused the wrongful death. By holding people accountable for their negligence, our workplaces and public places will be safer. The experienced wrongful death lawyers of Bonina & Bonina P.C. are here and ready to fight for you and your family.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Under New York law, a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed by a decedent’s personal representative. This can be the executor of the decedent’s estate as named in a will or a trust, or a family member of the decedent can request to be appointed as a personal representative.
What Damages are Recoverable?
In New York, wrongful death claim damages are awarded to the survivors of the decedent. A wrongful death lawsuit is intended to compensate the family for the losses they suffered due to the death of their loved one.
New York law limits the types of wrongful death damages that are recoverable. These damages include but are not limited to:
- Medical Bills and Funeral Expenses—compensation for funeral costs and medical bills related to the deceased person’s final injury
- Pain and Suffering—conscious pain and suffering the decedent experienced before their death. Family members cannot recover for their own pain and suffering
- Lost Earnings—what the decedent would have earned if they had continued working up until retirement age
- Household Services—the reasonable value of any household services the decedent provided the family—for instance, the value of a stay-at-home parent’s childcare duties.
- Loss of Parental Guidance—a child whose parent has died may recover for the educational instruction and guidance the parent would have provided if they had not died.
Who Can Recover Damages?
Under New York law, the money will be distributed to those who are entitled to it based on the pecuniary loss each individual has suffered. When more than one survivor is entitled to compensation, the proceeds will be distributed to the decedent’s spouse, children, parents, or siblings depending on the family circumstances. Unfortunately, close friends and boyfriends/girlfriends cannot recover in a wrongful death suit.
When a mistake causes the death of a loved one, it can be difficult for the family to accept what has happened. When the cause of death is negligence, and the victim should have lived years of life, the family has the right to make a wrongful death claim for their loved one’s estate. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., we are ready to help you and your family.
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
If your loved one died due to someone’s negligence, you should schedule a free consultation with an experienced wrongful death lawyer at Bonina & Bonina, P.C. Call us at 1888-MEDLAW1 or contact us online for a free consultation. We have decades of experience helping clients harmed by negligence, and we can explain your options and help you decide what actions you should take. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., we come to work every day believing that there should be equal justice for all. Se Habla espaňol. Home and hospital visits are available.