Hit and Run Accidents

In New York City, leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident is a crime. However, hit and run accidents happen every day. If someone leaves the scene of an accident before providing you with their insurance information, you may wonder how you can recover compensation for your injuries. The good news is, if you have your own car insurance, you can still recover for your injuries.

What to do After a Hit and Run Accident

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident, you’re probably stressed and disoriented. It’s important to remember some essential steps to take after the accident, however.

  • Call the police
  • Try to get information regarding the make, model, and license plate of the vehicle
  • Take pictures of the location and the damage to your car
  • Get the information of any witnesses who may have information about the accident
  • Get medical help

No-fault Insurance

New York law requires every driver to have $50,000 in personal injury protection (PIP). This insurance coverage is available to you regardless of who was at fault for an accident. As a result, even if the other driver leaves the scene, you will still have some coverage for your injuries.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

All drivers in New York are required to have $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. While this insurance typically applies when the other driver in an accident does not have insurance, it can also be utilized in a hit and run situation. It is important to remember that any coverage you get from your uninsured motorist insurance is limited to the policy limits. Therefore, when you purchase auto insurance, you should consider getting as much uninsured motorist coverage as you can afford.

Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation

If you are involved in a hit and run accident and you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage or other insurance, the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC) may be able to help. The MVAIC is a non-profit organization that provides coverage when no other insurance would apply. In order to be eligible for MVAIC benefits, you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours. In addition, within 90 days of the accident, you must file a Notice of Intention to file a claim.

Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a hit and run accident, you should have an experienced car accident attorney evaluate your case to determine your best course of action. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., we’ve been helping car accident victims for over 50 years. Contact us online or call us at 1-888-MEDLAW1 to schedule your free consultation. Home and hospital visits are available. Se habla español.