Hit and Run Accidents

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in New York, and yet people do it every day. If you are involved in an accident with a hit and run driver who left the scene without providing insurance or identifying information, you may think that you’re out of luck. However, whether you were a driver, a pedestrian, or a bicyclist, there are avenues you can pursue to receive compensation for your injuries and property damage.

No-fault Coverage

Under New York law every driver in the state is required to have $50,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) as part of their car insurance policy. If you’ve been injured by a hit and run driver, the no-fault coverage that you maintain for your vehicle will take care of a portion of your medical bills and lost wages.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

New York State requires that all drivers have at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per incident in uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) coverage. This insurance coverage typically applies if you are involved in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance or who does not have enough insurance. Your UM coverage can also be used if you’ve been hit and injured by a driver who left the scene of the accident.

With the high price of medical costs, the minimum amount of UM insurance coverage may not be enough to cover all of your bills. That’s why, when you purchase insurance, it’s important to get as much UM coverage as you can afford.


If you do not have UM coverage or other insurance, you may be able to recover from the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC). The MVAIC is a non-profit organization that provides no-fault and bodily injury liability coverage to individuals involved in motor vehicle accidents when no other insurance would apply. If you were injured in a hit and run accident, you might qualify for MVAIC benefits. To be eligible for MVAIC benefits after a hit and run accident it is important that you report the accident to the police within 24 hours. You must also file a Notice of Intention to file a claim (NOI) within 90 days of the accident.

Contact a Trusted Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a hit and run accident, you should have an experienced and trusted attorney evaluate your case. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., we have over 50 years of experience helping injured New Yorkers. Contact us online or call us at 1-888-MEDLAW1 to schedule your free consultation. Home and hospital visits are available. Se habla español.