Four Things to Look for in Your Car Insurance Policy

Purchasing car insurance can be confusing. New York also has some requirements that must be included in your policy. It’s important to understand what’s covered under your policy and what the different coverages mean.


Personal Injury Protection

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is also known as no-fault insurance. This coverage will pay for some of your medical bills and lost wages for injuries you sustained in a car accident regardless of who was at fault for the accident. In New York, you are required to have a minimum of $50,000 in PIP. The benefit of PIP is that payments are made quickly, and there does not need to be a determination regarding who was at fault in order for you to get paid.


Liability Insurance

Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage if you were at fault for an accident. It protects you if a claim is made against you by another person. The minimum amount of liability insurance required in New York is $25,000 for bodily injury to one person, $50,000 for death to one person. There also must be $50,000 in coverage for injury of more than one person and $100,000 for the death of more than one person. In addition, there is a minimum of $10,000 in property damage coverage that is required. These are the minimum requirements. You can always purchase more coverage to give yourself greater protection.


Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage (UM) will cover you if you are injured in an accident caused by someone without insurance or someone who does not have enough insurance to cover all of your expenses. In New York, the amount of UM coverage you are required to have is the same as the amount of liability insurance required. You can always purchase more coverage.


Collision Coverage

Collision coverage is optional in New York and will cover any property damage you sustain as the result of an accident you caused. Without collision coverage, your car will not be repaired or replaced if you were the cause of an accident.


Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you want an experienced car accident attorney on your side. At Bonina & Bonina P.C., we have been helping accident victims for over 50 years. Contact us online or call us at 1-888-MEDLAW1 to schedule your free consultation. Home and hospital visits are available. Se habla español.