Highways and high traffic areas are constantly under construction in New York City. As a result of the additional hazards present in work zones, accidents and collisions are more frequent. Improperly placed signage, signals, and the inattention of drivers can all lead to serious accidents. These accidents can result in injuries to both motorists and construction workers.
Factors Contributing to Accidents in Work Zones
Depending on the circumstances of an accident, a negligent driver, a construction company, or a governmental entity may be liable for injuries occurring in a work zone. There are a number of factors that can contribute to accidents in work zones, including:
- Improper Signage or Lane Markings—work zones should be properly designated and protected to ensure the safety of motorists and workers on the site. There should be sufficient warning that a driver is approaching a work zone, and drivers should be encouraged to slow down and pay attention. The number and placement of the signs should comply with federal and state regulations. Lane markings should also be clear and properly placed so that drivers know where to proceed.
- Debris on the Roadway—construction companies should ensure that there is no debris on the roadway to protect the safety of motorists. Unattended equipment and materials can cause serious accidents, and construction companies have an obligation to keep the road clear.
- Uneven Roadways—drivers should be warned of the uneven pavement caused by road construction so that they can proceed with caution and avoid losing control of their vehicle.
- Worker Negligence—workers need to follow all regulations and policies to remain safe in work zones. Workers who are not safely operating equipment can cause collisions and accidents.
- Inadequate Lighting—work zones operating at night should always be lit properly so that drivers can see the worker and avoid collisions.
- Driver Negligence—drivers who fail to obey posted speed limits, drive past barriers, and fail to pay attention in work zones can cause injury to themselves and construction workers.
Contact an Experienced Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a work zone, you should consult with a trusted accident attorney. At Bonina & Bonina, P.C., we have over 50 years of experience helping injured New Yorkers. Contact us online or call us at 1-888-MEDLAW1 to schedule your free consultation. Home and hospital visits are available. Se habla español.