5 Documents Your Attorney Will Need After Your Car Accident

If you have been injured in a car accident, you may have decided to hire a personal injury attorney to help you with your claim. In order for your attorney to represent you effectively, it’s important that you provide them with all of the necessary information they need to move forward with your case. In order to put together a successful case, the attorney will need some documentation from you. Some documents your attorney will need after your car accident include:


Police Report

In any car accident case, the police will file an official accident report. This document will contain important details about the accident, including the names of the parties and any witnesses. It will also note the location and circumstances of the accident. Give your attorney a copy of the police report or the police report number.


Car Insurance Policy

Your attorney will definitely want to see a copy of your insurance policy to determine what coverage you have. The declarations page is particularly helpful as it will indicate the type and amount of coverage you have as part of your policy.



You should be sure to take pictures of the scene and the vehicles involved in the accident. They are important to show the extent of any injuries and property damage and can help determine who was at fault for an accident.


Medical Records and Bills

Your attorney will want to see a copy of any medical records in order to assess the types of injuries you have sustained and what type of treatment you have received. Detailed medical records are crucial to establishing that you deserve compensation. Medical bills are equally important in showing the monetary damages you have incurred as a result of your injuries. Keep all prescription receipts, doctor bills, hospital bills, and therapy bills so that you can provide these to your attorney.


Wage Records

If you’ve been injured as a result of the car accident, then you have likely missed some time from work. Pay stubs and W-2s can be used to help establish the amount of lost wages that you have incurred.


Contact a New York Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, an experienced attorney can help you through the process. The attorneys at Bonina & Bonina, P.C., have been helping New Yorkers injured in car accidents for over 50 years. Contact us online or call us at 1-888-MEDLAW1 to schedule your free consultation. Home and hospital visits are available. Se habla español.